Check how niacinamide affects the skin and which of your problems it will solve. We tell you how to include it in your care to bring spectacular results, and in which cosmetics you can find it.
What is niacinamide?
Does the term "niacinamide" sound unfamiliar to you? Most likely because this mysterious name hides a derivative of the compound known as niacin, i.e. vitamin B3 or vitamin PP. The importance of vitamin B3 for the human body cannot be overestimated. It is a key substance in basic biological processes, including:
- involved in cellular respiration and energy production,
- affecting the absorption of nutrients from food,
- improving blood circulation,
- reducing cholesterol levels,
- regulating the functioning of the digestive and nervous systems.
Vitamin B3 also has a positive effect on the condition of the skin, affecting it on many levels.
Niacinamide in cosmetics – effects on the skin and properties
Niacinamide is a derivative of niacin used in the cosmetics industry. It is soluble in water and is perfectly absorbed by the skin. By introducing it into your daily care, you will protect your skin against vitamin B3 deficiency, and at the same time you will discover a reliable recipe for radiant skin free from imperfections. A significant advantage of niacinamide is the fact that it is a substance dermatologically tested from every angle, and therefore well known and safe.
What problems will cosmetics with vitamin B3 help you deal with?
The beneficial effect of niacinamide on the skin is not limited to one direction. Vitamin PP applied in this form is well tolerated by the skin and effectively eliminates problems such as:
- discolorations - niacinamide improves blood supply to the skin and evens out its color, and by inhibiting the secretion of pigment from melanocytes, it prevents discolorations and lightens existing ones;
- dry epidermis - vitamin B3 inhibits water loss through the epidermis, while stimulating the production of ceramides responsible for maintaining optimal skin hydration;
- signs of skin aging - the use of vitamin PP in care delays the skin aging process, while niacinamide has not only a preventive but also regenerative effect: it participates in the synthesis of hyaluronic acid and collagen, thus improving the firmness of the skin tissue and reducing fine wrinkles;
- acne and overproduction of sebum - vitamin B3 stabilizes the functioning of the sebaceous glands and prevents excessive sebum production, and as an antioxidant it has anti-inflammatory properties and supports the healing of acne wounds;
- enlarged pores – niacinamide reduces the visibility of enlarged pores thanks to its gentle astringent effect;
- weakened skin barrier - vitamin PP strengthens the natural hydrolipid layer of the skin, which translates into better protection against high and low temperatures and the harmful effects of pollutants, allergens and detergents;
- Atopic Dermatitis and psoriasis - by increasing the tightness of the hydrolipid barrier, niacinamide improves the condition of skin affected by atopic dermatitis or psoriasis, reduces dryness and soothes irritations and redness;
- effects of exposure to UV radiation - vitamin B3 supports the regeneration of skin exposed to the damaging effects of UV rays, alleviates the effects of sun allergies and increases the effectiveness of creams with UV filters.
Should you have at least one product with niacinamide in your makeup bag?
There can only be one answer: absolutely yes! Due to its multi-faceted action, niacinamide is an undisputed game changer in the care of all skin types. It is a beneficial substance for dry, sensitive, vascular and irritation-prone skin.
Vitamin B3 has a beneficial effect on mature, earthy skin, with enlarged pores, wrinkles and discolorations. Its anti-acne effect will be appreciated by people struggling with imperfections and looking for a way to calm oily, acne-prone skin. Cosmetics with niacinamide are also a must-have for sunbathing fans.
How to use niacinamide properly to get results?
In the light of the information provided, niacinamide appears to be a miracle ingredient that will solve all our cosmetic dilemmas. Will there be even a bit of tar in this barrel of honey? Yes, to see the positive effects of using vitamin B3 on the skin, you need to be patient.
The golden rule of introducing niacinamide into your care rituals is: start with low concentrations . We accustom the skin to the new product gradually, applying it in a sparing amount once a day or every other day. Cosmetics with niacinamide in a concentration of 2-3% are available on the Polish market and these are the best products to start with.
The maximum recommended concentration of niacinamide in care for beginners is 5%. The first effects in the form of radiant, smooth and perfectly moisturized skin with even color, with a noticeable reduction of imperfections, will be visible after 8-12 weeks of systematic use. Then you can also consider switching to a cream or serum with higher concentration of niacinamide - up to 10%.
Combining niacinamide with retinol and other substances
It is worth remembering that vitamin PP found in skin care products may have positive and negative interactions with other ingredients of our cosmetics.
You can combine niacinamide with:
Attention! Retinol and niacinamide should not be used together. The optimal solution is to separate them in your care routine. We apply the cosmetic with niacinamide during the day and retinol at night.
Do not combine niacinamide with:
Cosmetics with niacinamide that we especially recommend
Isana Pure – facial cleansing foam with niacinamide and panthenol
A daily facial cleansing product that gently and thoroughly cleanses the skin. Suitable for make-up removal. Thanks to the content of vitamins B3 and B5, it soothes irritations, leaving the skin smooth and elastic, but without the feeling of tightness.
Price (at the time of publication of the article): approx. PLN 11.50/150 ml
OnlyBio Kombucha – tonic against imperfections Niacinamide + white tea hydrolate
Cosmetic intended for deep cleansing of the skin. Thanks to the content of vitamin B3, other B vitamins and vitamin C derivatives, it has an antioxidant effect, regulates sebum secretion and supports the fight against pimples, blackheads, enlarged pores and other skin imperfections.
Price (at the time of publication of the article): approx. PLN 18/300 ml
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% – face serum
Product for intensive care of combination and oily skin prone to acne. It stabilizes the functioning of the sebaceous glands, accelerates the healing of lesions and supports skin regeneration. It evens out the skin tone, reduces the visibility of pores, and at the same time does not dry out or irritate the skin. Suitable for skin with rosacea, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
Price (at the time of publication of the article): approx. PLN 31/30 ml
Bioliq Pro – concentrated serum with photostable vitamin C and niacinamide
A broad-spectrum facial care cosmetic, rich in antioxidants and supporting collagen production. It reduces discolorations and smoothes wrinkles, improves skin tension and adds radiance, providing the effect of porcelain skin. Suitable for sensitive skin care.
Price (at the time of publication of the article): approx. PLN 35/20 ml
AA My Beauty Power – antioxidant day cream-gel Niacinamide 5%
A cosmetic in the form of a light moisturizing cream, intended for daily skin care. Thanks to the high content of niacinamide, resveratrol and plant extracts, it brightens the skin, increases its elasticity, gives smoothness and healthy color and has anti-wrinkle properties.
Price (at the time of publication of the article): approx. PLN 18/50 ml